Here are some of the practical ways we might help:
- developing a management plan for a national park or community conservation area, using participatory approaches
- assisting a protected area in defining its optimal protection strategies and plans to increase anti-poaching effectiveness and address other key threats
- helping to set up practical management, financial and planning mechanisms aimed at strengthening a community-based conservation organisation or NGO
- evaluating or designing realistic natural resource governance mechanisms and institutions that build on both customary rights and modern legal frameworks
- helping an environmental or development organisation to design or modify its programmes or projects to ensure that they are focussed on achieving impacts using theory of change principles
- carrying out an evaluation of a conservation or sustainable development project to understand its progress towards achievement of outcomes and impacts, as well as value for money
- assisting a government or international agency in assessing priority needs for both national and site level actions to combat wildlife crime based on emerging best practice and innovation across Africa
- carrying out research aimed at understanding the emerging patterns and relationships between biodiversity conservation and human development in situations of socio-economic and environmental change and uncertainty
How can we help you?
The Conservation Development Centre is a specialist centre that catalyses new approaches and provides professional support services for conservation, aimed at adding value and filling gaps in existing capacity. Working at the interface between conservation and human development, our company’s mission is to help other organizations achieve best practice in the conservation of natural resources and wild areas in harmony with human development. Established in 1997, CDC works in eastern and southern Africa, as well as further afield, from an operations base in Nairobi, Kenya. We have a strong track record of supporting a diverse customer base in Africa and beyond, including non-governmental organisations, government departments, donor agencies, community groups and private businesses.
We focus on a small number of specialities that we work hard to excel at, so that we add real value to our customer’s conservation efforts. We have a pragmatic, hands-on approach which is underpinned by a simple philosophy: that with strong commitment, cooperation and common sense, we can make a tangible and practical contribution towards conserving the world’s wildlife and wild places, for the well-being of people.
Please contact us if you think we can help you with your next project, or are interested in learning more about CDC.